04 January 2009

Given the Boot

For those who do not know, I am living in the desert southwest, in Tucson, Az. That is about an hour and a half away from today's topic.

Boothill Cemetery is located in Tombstone, Az. It is well-known for it's inhabitants, some of which were victims and/or perpetrators of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. How many Corral-ers are buried there? Well, certainly no more than three, as that is the number of people killed in that infamous gun battle between the Earp group and the Clanton group. Those killed were all of the Clanton group, and were: Billy Clanton, Robert Findley (Frank)McLaury, and Thomas Clark McLaury. Contrary to popular belief and the favor of the old west movies, no Earp brother is buried here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfight_at_the_O.K._Corral)

One can find many interesting things at the Boothill Cemetery, only a few of which I will share here, since I wouldn't want to spoil all the fun of those who may visit this cemetery. One area was reserved for the Chinese and another for Jewish people buried there. Below is the section for the latter group:
Another area cleverly pipes in old west tunes through a speaker disquised as a rock:
Once upon a time, I thought Tombstone, Az was nothing more than an amusement attraction used solely as a movie studio and tourist attraction. After moving to Arizona, I learned that it is indeed a legitimate town where people live, work, and play. I myself wouldn't mind the opportunity to visit one of my all-time favorite headstones more often:

There is much information on the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral on the web. I used the handy source of Wikipedia, of which I'm becoming a bigger fan.

No comments: